Oklahoma Certified Healthy Restaurants
Purpose of Oklahoma Certified Healthy Restaurant
The Oklahoma Certified Healthy Restaurant program started in 2009 as an extension of the Oklahoma Certified Healthy Business program. The Oklahoma Certified Healthy Restaurant program recognizes single venues, local and national chain restaurants and worksite venues that offer healthy options and environments for their patrons.
Reasons to Apply to be a Certified Healthy Restaurant
- Makes having a healthy environment a priority
- Marketing tool for your restaurant
- Attracts new customers and creates a loyal customer base
- Serves as a role model to other restaurants
- Improves staff productivity and morale
- Creates a healthier community
Tips for Completing Application
- Print a copy of the criteria first for your review.
- Do not start the online application process until you are ready to complete and submit (you will not be able to save the application).
- Before submitting the application, be sure to print a copy for your records.
- Criteria must be met at the time of submission.
- Submitted applications are final.
To review and print the 2013 criteria click here.
If your restaurant has had any unresolved priority violations during your most recent inspection by the Oklahoma State Department of Health, you are ineligible to apply for certified healthy restaurant status.
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) states, “At the present, the only means of eliminating health risks associated with indoor exposure is to ban all smoking activity.” Therefore, a 100% smoke-free indoor environment is required to attain certification.
Restaurants Will Be Certified in One of the Following Categories:
- Single venue
- Local chain
- National chain
- Worksite venue
The application period opens on August 1st and closes on November 1st. Each application will be reviewed by the Oklahoma Certified Healthy Restaurant staff. The applications will be scored based on a total number of points awarded in each of the seven categories. Based on total number of points, restaurants will be awarded a basic, merit or excellence certification.
Certification will be announced in December and awards ceremony is scheduled for February 13, 2014.
We’re excited that you are interested in becoming a Certified Healthy Restaurant.
If there are any questions please call Kathy Payne 405-271-9444 ext. 56507.